Monday, August 9, 2010
The work of Maine
Most people go on vacation for a vacation. You pay for the rental and you stay, then you leave. Maine is different. With every week we go, we must leave it in better condition than we left it. It is the rule of ecologist and it is the rule of Brian's Maine. When I first starting going to Brian with Maine...long before children and even before I was a Saumsiegle, I couldn't comprehend why Brian would be so fanatical about raking the driveway so there were no pine needles (do you see all the Pine Trees????) or raking the beach, scrubbing the porch, chopping wood, and emptying out ALL the perishable foods in the refrigerator. Now, thirteen years later I understand why Brian and Scott care so much and why they put so much into the house the week they are there. It is more than a place to get a away to, it is a place to go to...a place that is somehow like home. Now, when we are going to Maine....Connor, Colin and Kaya call it "our Maine" because just as Black Helicopter sings, "it's in the blood."

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment