Monday, July 27, 2009

Where I come from

Well it's been a while...too long really since I've been home. It's been even longer since I've seen all the people that have been like a mother or a father or a brother or a sister to me. (Though I missed you Tobie and Buddy!!!) But this year I made it and had a day that will help me through these New England winters. (A little sentimental I agree but I am tired and well, it's just how I feel.) After a day and a half on traveling with the most amazing road warriors ever...Connor, Colin and Kaya were absolutely amazing, I made it back to Kentucky. And after a pulled beef barbecue sandwich (which may have come from my Dad's cows) and pancakes and bacon for breakfast, I joined a caravan of mini vans to head to carter caves where I would meet up with the rest of the Barker Clan.

First order of business? Throw Brian into the thick of things. Within five minutes of arriving, Brian had been attacked by this group of rascals that wanted to go exploring the caves. AND BRIAN TAKES THEM!!! All eight kids by himself, no wonder he's scratching his head.

This is Kaya excited for her first Barker Reunion. (Actually she just loved the beuuuuutiful bridge over the prinspess water)
It wasn't long after we all ate...props to Paula's green beans and potatoes, Brysha got everyone together to take the necessary group photo's. On their own these guys are pretty tame. They're happy and cute.

But bring in the wives and husbands......

And it all goes up a notch....see below. Look carefully and you'll spot the trouble makers.



Trust me...if you see my dad smiling like this------run the other way. Quickly.



See....it's all muscle!


One thing not lacking is passion. Must be all the romance novels we read from Aunt Joy's and Aunt Flora's house. (You too mom!)


I'll show you!


Here's some of the Barker sisters. They taught us what sisterhood was supposed to be.


And what we wanted marriage to be.

And how to always laugh. (Except when losing at cards...right Danny?)


And then comes all of us......oh, the stories I could tell. Mostly because I was in the middle of them or a witness. ("Peachy!", overheating Dad's car while cruising on a Friday night, card games at 3 AM in the morning, bowling for pizza money, New Kids on the Block home videos, Myrtle Beach...the list goes on!)

I wonder what mischief these guys will come up with? I think I saw a flashback it on Friday.

I have to tell you that I am amazed that these three don't absolutely hate me, JoJuan and Tonya. The horrors we put them through! Still, it was all fun-at least to JoJuan, Tonya and me. (And the escaped convict in Ironton, OH)


How many times did Tonya and I pose like this growing up? We thought we were such hot tickets! Still do actually but that is the Barker honesty!

Uh oh...do you think it's genetic? (My daughter, Kaya is on the right...)



I hope we are 70 and still get together and pose for pictures like this! And I mean it! I may have to insist upon it.



This is my niece Alliston. My sisters have the most amazingly beautiful girls. They'll be a movie star in us yet!


Brian down to one child now...look at that grin of relief! Oh that is until we look around and notice that Connor and Colin had decided to join a gang of cousins and escape to one of the very many caves around us. I hope Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn found a hidden treasure.



I don't know what they were talking about it but I am pretty sure it had something to do with whose belly is bigger.



My brother Larry and his youngest Ruby.


My Dad absently soothing his grand daughter Carolina. I thought Holly would like this picture.




And now onto the real games....water fighting! Now I would like to say here and now that I came prepared to battle all the grown ups and found that suddenly I was too old to play in the fun games?????? Who made up this rule. Next time I had better see Uncle Danny throwing a water balloon, Dad hiding and waiting to pounce, Mom aiming for an eye with too much make-up and Flora slyly walking by and squirting her gun when people least expect it. As far as Elwood goes, well, he can pretty much walk up and take the flag.


The kids had fun though! The pictures don't even do it justice. There was laughter, screaming, crossing a creek to get to the enemies camp, and absolute fun!




































Finally a surrender!

The North wins! Alex gets the flag!

(That's Brian with the flag on the North.)



Then back to Mom's house where the kids still play and remain in contineous motion.


It was a fun and exhausting and everything I wanted it to be....anything that makes Brian this tired has to be worth a bird to the window. (Seriously, on the way home a bird hit the front of the car and cracked our windshield with it's beak and well, the rest of it. Very gross!)
Until next year!!!












































































































































































































































































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun. I love your whose belly is bigger picture and the picture of your mom and dad with your dads big grin. After 13 years of being a part of the family, I too have learned when he grins that big, he is up to no good. Usually something that will have your mom yelling. I also love the pictures of the Barker sisters. So much fun.

Mary said...

I love the pictures. It made me homesick. I hope we have a reunion soon that I can go to.